Evolution/bonobo/gnme-vfs changes cause evolution linking problems

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 18 17:48:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 12:10 -0500, Himpel,John W wrote:
> When I start evolution, the gui appears with the various emails shown
> in a threaded view.  This display is for a split-second, then
> evolution dies with the following:
[snip]
>  evolution: symbol lookup
> error: /usr/lib/evolution/2.8/components/libevolution-mail.so:
> undefined symbol: gnome_vfs_mime_get_all_components
>
> This looks suspiciously like the changes that Alexander Larsson made
> upstream to bonobo and gnome-vfs libraries did not make it into
> development before evolution changed. (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/devel-announce-list@gnome.org/msg00087.html )

Yes, there was a collision between multiple libbonobo builds going
through the buildsys at the same time (one for the rebuild, one to
update to the new version) and the rebuild one finished second masking
the newer version.  We've fixed this up so it should be better in
tomorrow's rawhide

Jeremy