interesting problem - download of files > 2GB

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 09:00:10 UTC 2006

> >> As mentioned earlier, I decided to suck Knoppix 5.0 to a DVD.  I found
> >> on a Knoppix mirror (ftp.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix/knoppix-dvd) the
> >> distro (4243030 KB in size).
> >>
> >> A couple of hours ago, I started a suck via the HTTP button.  But
> >> noticed that it showed the target size would be 2 GB :-(  I let it
> >> continue, BUT, when I had rcvd 2 GB, it terminated :-(
> >>
> >> So I went back to the size and used the ftp but and  that is were I
> >> got the above info from.  Again I started the download, only to find
> >> it was also going to be 2 GB :-(
> >>
> >> Now I am using FC4 as an environment.  Strange.  It is as though the
> >> file transfer system doesn't support above 2 GB.
> >>
> >> Any comment?
> >>

> > Release notes has this information. I have even specified the exact last
> > version of wget with this limitation in it for the last couple of releases
> >
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#sn-Installer
> Rahul, I think we should add some specific downloaders that will not
> work with >2GByte file downloads will be truncated at the 2GB point:
> I was going to put the following in the wiki, but I can't workout how to
> put a table inside an {i} info box:

Or we could upgrade the web servers that are serving these files to
apache 2.2. Its a known problems that apache < 2.2 doesn't support
files larger than 2.0G. Apache 2.2 fixes this.

I believe that's why on the redhat web servers the DVD images aren't
available but they are on the FTP servers. You'll see here that the
DVD ISOs are missing
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/5.90/i386/iso/

Peter