Autofs conflicts with kernel < 2.6.17

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 18:04:19 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 07:41, Paul Dickson wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:22:21 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > After messing up my install to the point where it was no longer worth
> > fighting, I made a new install of Test1 last night and tried to run
> > update. It fails with the message that 'autofs conflicts with kernel <
> > 2.6.17' - but I had already seen that message and installed the new
> > kernel.  I am running 2.6.17-1.2439.fc6.
> >
> > What now?
>
> Either exclude autofs or erase all kernels before 2.6.17.

I removed kernel 2.6.16....

Info told me:

Usually autofs is invoked at system boot  time  with  the
       start  parameter and at shutdown time with the stop parameter.

so removing it didn't seem such a good idea, and I wasn't sure what effect
there would be if I excluded autofs, which I presume I would have to do in
every update.

End result?  Zilch.  I still haven't got an update.  This time it is
dependencies - libgcj.so.7 and libgcjawt.so.7.

Is this likely to be a mirror problem, or something seriously wrong at my end?
I ask because my system got trashed a few days ago, after an update, and all
my attempts to put it right got me nowhere.  I haven't managed a successful
update either on the original system or on this new install since then.

Anne

Anne