'Safely Remove' doesn't umount

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jul 29 10:42:20 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 11:11, n0dalus wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Selecting 'Safely Remove' starts lots of flickering on the pen-drive and
> > the laptop, but the icon remains, no mount or umount appears on the
> > right-click menu, and the drive can be opened in konqueror from the
> > right-click menu - obviously not umounted.
>
> Sounds like a feature to me. Flash devices are mounted 'async' by
> default, so data written to them gets stored in the kernel for a short
> amount of time before 'syncing' and writing to the device; this way
> series of changes can be combined into single writes, saving the
> finite write cycles on the device. The 'Safely Remove' option probably
> pushes any remaining changes out of the kernel onto the device, and
> once there is no write activity remaining it is quite safe to remove
> the device even though it's still mounted.

I'm not happy with that idea.  IAUI, 'Safely Remove' should flush the cache (I
presume that's the activity seen) and then umount it.  It certainly does on
my FC4 boxes.  I do not like the idea of wrenching a mounted device, and the
only other alternative is to wait until the laptop is shutdown.

Anne