Problems with FC6T1

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Sat Jul 29 17:41:30 UTC 2006

I've had the following problems on a fresh install of FC6T1:

1) The graphical installer barfs on my LVM/XFS root partition (manually
formatted via rescue mode before running the installer) - the volume is
300G, and the graphical installer insists that the volume is larger than
  it is supposed to be at 256GiB. The partition *is* correctly sized,
and the text mode installer has no problems with this.

2) Trying to run an update is NEEDLESSLY PAINFUL - can we either a) make
YUM deal with conflicts in a more intelligent fashion that
"Conflict-DIE!", b) fix it so the damn repositories DON'T HAVE
CONFLICTS, or c) drop-kick YUM and use something better like APT for RPM?

3) After updating, when I reboot, the system fails to fsck my XFS
partitions, claiming there is a "permission denied" error running
fsck.xfs. However, when I am then dropped into the recovery shell, I can
execute this command without problems, and I see no differences between
/sbin/fsck.xfs and any of the other fsck.* programs (i.e. ls -laZ shows
no obvious differences). I worked around this by adding a "noxfs" to the
fsck parameters in rc.sysinit - and this might not be a bad idea anyway,
seeing as how fsck.xfs is a no-op anyway.

4) I don't know if this is a Wine error or a Fedora/SELinux error, but -
I pulled down the latest wine CVS (28 July 2006), and installed it to
/usr/bin/wine/* (e.g. the main executable is /usr/bin/wine/wine) (so
that when I want to wipe all the wine binaries for a new clean install I
can do so easily) (and I am not installing from RPM as a) I want the
latest Wine and b) I occasionally do a bit of Wine hacking). I relabled
all the /usr/bin/wine/* and /usr/lib/wine/*so files
(e.g. -rwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:wine_exec_t
/usr/bin/wine/wine
-rwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:textrel_shlib_t
/usr/lib/wine/activeds.dll.so
) but I still get a "wine_main_preload_info not found" from wine when it
starts. The Wine source leads me to believe this is because Wine is not
able to load the wine-preloader. I've check to see if I have any audit
denies and I am not seeing any in the system logs.