What about LaTeX in FC6?

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 03:37:52 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> PJ> What is FC6 going to do?
>
> This close to test1 I assume that tetex will stay for FC6.  It would
> be a great time for the community to start working on TeXLive so that
> it can get into Extras ASAP and be ready for FC7.
>
>  - J<

There is lots of discussion going on over on the teTeX and TeXLive
lists. Much of it still largely philosophic about how to structure a
TeXLive based offering. Some of which is along the lines of a "Core",
"Recommended" and "Extra" type of construct relative to how TeX
components might be packaged.

Core would be along the lines of a very basic, bare minimum, offering of
TeX tools. Recommended would perhaps constitute the additional
components that would otherwise be in teTeX. Extra would be all other
"stuff".  Details of course TBD.

One of the things that was pointed out to me by Ralf Stubner on
comp.text.tex, is that the MikTeX (Windows) folks have a tool called MPM
(MikTeX Package Manager), which is in effect a yum type of tool for
CTAN. This tool has been ported to Linux (beta):

   http://www.miktex.org/unx/

Ralf would prefer to not see a second PM approach, but finds MPM
"interesting" if one is interested in an implementation where there
could be a smaller (than teTeX) Core offering, which could be then
augmented by users with MPM to meet local requirements.

MPM seems interesting because (I think) it would enable a reduction in
the workload on the upstream TeX and downstream distro package managers
like Jindrich Novy (FC's tetex maintainer), relative to trying to keep a
TeX offering updated as new versions of packages become available on
CTAN. One could simply run the MPM (as we do now with yum) and update
installed packages with new versions from CTAN or install new ones as
they might be needed. That would ostensibly reduce the pressure to
release incremental large scale package updates frequently via yum repos.

It probably raises a PM coordination issue if one has packages installed
from an official FC repo as well as from CTAN directly, but I suspect
this would be a technical hurdle that could be overcome in time.

This solution seems intriguing, but I suspect there will be a lot of
discussion with the TeX community before some form of distro agnostic
solution is proffered. FC7 might be a reasonable target relative to
timelines...

HTH,

Marc Schwartz