mount options

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 09:11:26 UTC 2006

John

> Right now it can't be done in FC-5.  For better or worse upstream
> decided to take the policy configuration out of HAL.  They are working
> on PolicyKit which should allow for better control over policy such as
> mounting.  We are in the process of evaluating it.  Options right now
> are to add a static mount to /etc/fstab or
> edit /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount.  If someone wants
> to go more indepth and send a patch
> for /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-storage-mount which uses the old
> policy keys from HAL I have no issues with releasing a new package for
> FC-5 as long as it is deemed to be secure.

I'm interested in this. I've struggled with configurable mounting of
removable flash storage for a while. At the moment (FC5) I have fallen
back to manually mounting, which is a pain.

I'd love to see a sensible shortname= default (win95 in my case) so I
can see the correct case on my mounted ogg player.

I'd like noatime option for some flash filesystems.

I'd like the system to handle large flash devices with multiple
partitions sensibly.

I'd like to see consistent treatment of a disk type (eg. Compact Flash)
whether it's connected through USB, firewire or a PCMCIA reader. I have
seen some unexpected behaviour on a SATA-only laptop where / is on
/dev/sda and the CF appears as /dev/hda...

I imagine that the policy on a machine should allow the logged in user
to have access on a per-adapter basis (eg. allowed to access USB disks
but not internal ones). Then the user should be able to choose how to
mount devices with interactive prompting if necessary. Is that rocket
science?

I'll have a look at the hal scripts tonight...

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--