Questions from a testing newbie

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 24 15:26:00 UTC 2006

On 24 8:17:S, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> Another question...
>
> On my FC5 system, I hold off on kernel updates until Livna has an
> Nvidia video driver rpm available, but I'd guess there's no
> kernel-matched Nvidia driver at Livna for kernels in test, right?
>  Given the admonition from someone at Redhat a couple of months
> ago not to use the Nvidia driver install script, how to Fedora
> testers keep Nvidia video drivers up to date?

    IMO, you're askin for a real big headache usin proprietary
kernel space drivers with rawhide. I don't, but you could put an
   exclude=kernel kernel-devel    line as the last one under [main]
in /etc/yum.conf  (Doesn't need to be last). I believe I'd just
give up direct rendering (some games), an use xorg's 'nv'.

   I'd also suggest, since you mention some severely limited
bandwith/frequent drops, that you uninstall whatever you can, that
you don't use.  Also disable updates for things like openoffice, as
updates are often, an about 90mb. Just add them to your 'exclude='
statement, an comment out, or remove those entries when you want to
update those programs. (I don't need to do this, but I do use all
the below)

   I'd also disable (in 'serviceconf')  yum-updatesd, and use this
script;

 #!/bin/sh
 for i in `yum list updates |cut -f 1 -d " " |grep -A 500 -e
Updated |\
    (from 'for' ...to... 'Updated |\' is all one line)
 grep -v -e Updated` ; do
       echo "Updating $i"
       yum -y update $i
 done

     Save it to a file, name it (I use yumnd), make it executable
(chmod +x) an put in in your /home/<user>/bin dir  or  /usr/bin/
   (I lost the link to that script, it's not mine)

  It will d/l individual packages (an their deps), then update
before continuing, an won't fail if deps are missing. 'yum update'
tries to d/l everything before updating, an will fail if a dep(s)
are missing.  I have more bandwidth than you an I use 'yumnd' daily
as there are often deps missing on rawhide.

    Seems recently I need to run 'yum clean all' an then 'yum
check-update' before daily updates are found. Usually a minimum of
3 to 4 hours after the timestamp' on the "rawhide report" post
to -test. YMMV.
'yum check-update' lists available updates, but does nothin else.

  I'm sure others have suggestions, but the above 'worksforme' ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                   Corpus Christi, Texas