xsane finds scanner only as root

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Sun Jun 25 16:49:13 UTC 2006

Gerry Tool wrote:
> It seems like every new test release reasserts scanner problems that
> have been solved before.  My scanner works fine in FC5.
>
> I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner which is supported by the
> epkowa iscan package, providing the epkowa.conf package that allows this
> scanner to work with xsane.
>
> After installing iscan-2.0.0-0.c2, both iscan and xsane work with my
> scanner if I execute them as root.  However, if I try to execute them as
> a normal user, the scanner is not found.
>
> Does anyone know the correct fix for this problem, or should I open a
> new bug report?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gerry

This is probably a result of your scanner device is not readable by
other users than root.
If you no what your scanner device is called you could change the
permissions for the
device so that all users can access it.

Another, better, solution would be to set it up as a networked scanner
by using saned.
The procedure is well described in the saned man page. Follow that
example and don't
forget to restart your xinetd to make it work.  Also make sure that the
line "net" in
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf is not commented out. Add localhost to
/etc/sane.d/net.conf
That way your scanner device could be owned by one saned user, and the
access to
it could be controlled by editing the file /etc/sane.d/saned.users (see
the saned man page).

Regards
Uno Engborg