New system-config-printer

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 20:31:30 UTC 2006

On 6/26/06, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 12:42 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > How well will the new config app handle PSC printers? Esp. those that
> > make use of hplip?
>
> Just as well as the previous tool, currently.  Automatically-added
> queues for local printers will use the hal backend still instead of the
> hp backend; haven't worked out a good way to fix that.
>
> > Any screenshots? I am not yet ready to go to rawhide on my throw away
> > machine just yet.
>
> None yet.  I might see if I can put something together with some
> screenshots for people to comment on.
>
> Tim.

One more thin: by chance today, I had the opportunity of setting up
quickly printing from my laptop (WinXP) across the internet to my
printer connected to my desktop (FC5)
 following the instruction Windows side found here
http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html.

One thing that the tutorial didn't mention was cupsd's own ip
filtering, configured at /etc/cups/cupds.conf .... so to get to my
point, any plans/hope of adding configuring of access to ipp in the
system-config-printer? Or are there better ways, i am a bit ignorant
on that topic.

Thank you.
--
To be updated...