FC5, progression or regression?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 09:09:31 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:59:54PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >  > Mike A. Harris (mharris at mharris.ca) said:
> >  > > >a 3 GHz P4 processor for heaven's sake. It should run FC5 like the wind.
> >  > >
> >  > > That's why it is a test release, to find bugs.  Don't use test releases
> >  > > if you expect flawless OS operation and perfect performance.
> >  >
> >  > However, if it's *significantly* less performance, it could certainly
> >  > signify something that's wrong.
> >
> > Current kernels still have slab debugging on (Because we still have
> > bugs that this is tripping up that need whacking).  The increased
> > overhead of this sucks up memory bandwidth, and I wouldn't be
> > surprised if shared-memory video chipsets feel some pain.
> With glxgears, I see the gears update about 15 times in 10 seconds, and
> the results are (AMD athlon 2600+, 512ram, nvidia fx5600)# glxgears
> 888 frames in 5.4 seconds = 165.811 FPS
> 798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 158.416 FPS
> 912 frames in 5.7 seconds = 161.284 FPS
> 798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 158.274 FPS
> 798 frames in 5.1 seconds = 155.004 FPS
> It's hard to tell if this is just a stobing effect ;-)
>
> I think it was at least an order of magnitude higher in FC4 - from
> memory approximately 5000 f/s (but perhaps only with the nvidia
> (non-open) driver).

Are you able to run glxgears with the nv (open-source) driver?  It
does not work for me (x86_64 PCI-e 6600 GT):
$ glxgears
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  22

Same as Partha noted with an ATi card.  Interesting that both of our
systems are 64-bit.  I also cannot get my GLUT programs to work.  They
give the same error, with the minor difference that the above 22s are
both 29 with the GLUT programs.

Jonathan