FC5, glxgears is there, but not default

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Mar 1 23:24:35 UTC 2006

David Timms wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> David Timms wrote:

>>> iff its installed: I had to manually install (I guess this is based
>>> on installer choices and hence why some people dont have it installed
>>> ?).
>>> # rpm -qf /usr/bin/glxgears
>>> glx-utils-6.4.2-5
>>

>> If you think it should be installed by default, file a bug report
>> against anaconda or comps.
>

> Of general interest: perhaps not. But if there is some extremely cool,
> show off, kick ass, make you want to go and stick Fedora on a machine
> this second 3d gl demo (that isn't too big), that could be installed by
> default ;)
>
> However, the size is tiny (16k+16k) for gears and info, so for a GUI
> install I reckon it should be included. It's at least a basic GL test
> tool which is proof of GL before trying some games / screen savers etc.
>
> I'll file the request if there is any one else who would agree its
> needed ??

I think it's reasonable for it to be installed by default.  It always
was before afterall.  Many people look for it, enough to justify it
being installed by default, such as any of the other X related "*info"
tools.

It's probably not intentional that it's not installed by default right
now, but more likely just nobody noticed before now and nobody reported
it as a bug or request.

Not sure if it is too late now to change the list of things that get
installed by default or not, but filing a bug would be the first step.

;)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.