Cinema Display 30 and Radeon 9600

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Thu Mar 2 01:05:51 UTC 2006

Scott wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> You need to use proprietary drivers with the 30" flat panels from  Apple
>> or Dell to get it working as one would expect.  That probably wont
>> change much until the video hardware vendors wake up and start
>> supporting OSS again.
>
> Does this confirm my suspicion that the xorg radeon driver does not
> support dual link dvi mode that is required to drive these displays?
> Just kind of curious if it's actually been looked at and I'm sure you
> would know. :)

To the best of my knowledge, the only driver that supports this is
Nvidia's proprietary driver.  I don't know if ATI's fglrx driver
supports it or not, but someone else might be able to comment.

>> Maybe Intel or someone will come to the rescue with new hardware in
>> the future, and solving the modesetting problems in the OSS Intel
>> driver currently.
>
> One could only hope. I'm more than a bit disapointed at the current
> state of video hardware support in Linux myself. It seems that the  only
> real solution for fast 3D or MPEG HW decoding is vendor  proprietary
> nvida or ati drivers. When I purchased this display I  knew there would
> be a real chance of being forced into a proprietary  driver and I
> deliberately made the choice to go with ATI based on the  current r300
> work and the past support ATI has given OSS.

Yes, it is quite upsetting and frustrating to many users, and also to
developers.

> Anyone want to comment on the state of fglrx with xorg 7.0.0 in FC5-
> test3? Is it worth me trying or should I go back to xorg 6.x ?

I'm not sure how closely any of the hardware vendors track Fedora
development with their drivers, however traditionally they seem to
release drivers a month or so after a new OS release, which claims
to work with the new OS release.  I'd recommend reading the
documentation in the driver download to see what they claim to
support in any given driver release, and if FC5 isn't listed, wait
until it is listed.

Otherwise, it's probably just a lot of headaches ;)

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.