Cinema Display 30 and Radeon 9600

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Thu Mar 2 02:30:33 UTC 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:05 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> Mpeg hardware decode is actually not very useful these days. If you
> need it
> then you can get it on the low end via boards open source, but on a
> P4 or
> Athlon64 its hardly useful and most boards just provide scalers and
> colourspace
> conversion which actually is the important stuff

Do you use MythTV with HDTV (1080i and 720p) video? It takes a lot of
CPU to do decoding, scaling, etc without a dedicated chip. A big CPU
means higher cost, larger power supply, and lots of cooling leading
to excessive noise in the living room, the last place you want it.

For MythTV it seems most people end up going with the nvidia boards
and jumping through flaming hoops to get XvMC working in the
proprietary driver to assist with HDTV decoding so they can use a low
end CPU and keep costs and noise down. Even at that XvMC isn't pretty
when it comes to quality of deinterlacing a 1080i stream compared to
what xine or mplayer can do in software when given enough CPU.

Having quality OSS drivers that handled dedicated hardware for
decoding HDTV video would be nice. Unichrome is a great effort in
that regard. Unfortunately, I personally find the availability of
unichrome XvMC supported chipsets that can handle 1280x720 or
1920x1080 video output lacking in main stream motherboards.
Admittedly, most users I've seen on the MythTV lists do not seem to
be as concerned about HDTV quality or output as I am :)

--
Scott