Possible bug with atd?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Mar 2 18:22:47 UTC 2006

On 03/03/2006, at 5:03 AM, Jason Vas Dias wrote:
> On Thursday 02 March 2006 12:53, Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au>
> wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug, or something I'm doing wrong...
>>
>>  I'm trying to schedule some dvb recording via a web page using
>> atd. I
>>  can get the jobs to appear in 'at -l', however when it comes time
>> for
>>  the job to execute, it just disappears. *poof* gone. No logs, no
>>  command executed, no nothing.
>>
>>  I'm trying to launch a bash file that does a heap of funky things -
>>  but not having much luck. If i type in the command manually, it all
>>  works like a treat.
>>
>>  I am setting the job in PHP by using:
>>  $cmd = "at $starttime $whatday << COMMAND\n/home/netwiz/bin/capture
>>  '$channel' $duration\nCOMMAND";
>> -----8<-----------
> You are submitting the job as userid 48, gid 48 -
> does the command normally work OK as a non root userid ?
> (The device read by the "capture" command must have appropriate
>  privileges if you're not running it as root -
>  which device / what privileges?)
> Does the at-job work if submitted as root ?
> Do you have SELinux in Enforcing mode ?
> If so, does the at job work after doing 'setenforce 0' ?
> Try changing the command to:
>   /home/netwiz/bin/capture '7 HD Digital' 30 || echo "FAILED: $?"
> that should generate some mail with the exit status if it fails.

Ok, I found the issue - it was actually a multiple of things that I'd
overlooked. I wasn't getting the email because sendmail wasn't
started on that machine - which when I started, I got a flood of
email hit my inbox - logwatchs' from 4 days ago etc :)

it turns out that because apache has a limited PATH, one of the
commands (zapdvb to be exact) lived in /usr/local/bin - however this
wasn't in apache's path for the at job. So, I added the full path
name to the script, and now everything works.

Sorry about the false alarm - it's something dead simple that I'm
embarrassed I overlooked :)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au