xen limitations?

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Mar 3 15:42:06 UTC 2006

> On 3/3/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 07:59 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>> > Just a short question, i never read about (and perhaps i missed it) -
>> is
>> > xen still limited to a minimum of 256 mb ram per domain? Or is it 256
>> mb
>> > ram for the hypervisor?
>>
>> The 256 meg of RAM was for doing a guest install -- now that I've fixed
>> some of the memory usage in anaconda, I should bump that down some.
>> You're still going to be running pretty slim if you only have 256 megs
>> of ram in the box, though
>>
>> Jeremy
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/installation-i386.html
> FreeBSD for the i386 requires a 486 or better processor and at least 24 MB
> of RAM.
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/test2-latest-en/sn-arch-specific.html#sn-arch-specific-x86-hardware-reqs
> 7.2.1.1.1. Memory Requirements
>
> This section lists the memory required to install Fedora Core 5 test2.
>
> This list is for 32-bit x86 systems:
>
>    -
>
>    Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
>    -
>
>    Minimum for graphical: 192MB
>    -
>
>    Recommended for graphical: 256MB
>

> With only 256MB total of memory, you going to be pushing it :)
>
> If you only allocate 24MB to freebsd, I can't begin to imagine how bad its
> going to run either.

in each case, i gonna run everything (dom0 and all domU) in text mode, i
do not want to spend cpu-time on gui-issues...so my hope is to give dom0
128 mb and 64 mb rams....perhaps if i sing loud enough, i get the money
for further ram :-) at least 128mb ram per each would be enough.

btw. freebsd will run nothing else than a jabber-server with 50
users...and for a pure linux-firewall, i think 64 megs are enough...

Roger