rawhide report: 20060304 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Sun Mar 5 00:34:14 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>For now, the important thing is that FC5 is in a state that everything
>>builds, and is ready for final release.  Minor trivia like this is not
>>mission critical to the release of the OS.
>
> Moving the .pc file like Ralf suggests is very unlikely to break anything
> at all, since default search order for pkg-config is
> libdir/pkgconfig:datadir/pkgconfig, so the file would still be found.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it is that things
that are "unlikely to break anything", quite often _do_ break something
in an unexpected way, and that the likelyhood of that happening
approaches 1:1 the closer you get to release day.

The change from arch to noarch being a good example.  Started with a
known "it works like this" package, made a "it is unlikely to break
anything by changing to noarch" change, a week later discovered that
oops - it does break something.

When there are only a couple of days left before the OS is frozen in
stone on DVD/CD for eternity, the sensible decision is to revert back
to the last known "it works" quantity, which is what I have done.

I am fully aware of /usr/share/pkgconfig in the search path, but I have
made an intentional decision to not take any further risks with this
package this close to the final release.  Any risks for such a
low-benefit change, simply can not be justified at this point in the
release cycle.

Nobody needs to sell me on the idea, I already agree that it is probably
a smart thing to do.  It just is not worth taking any additional risk
_right now_.

If you want to help get FC5 in better shape, please redirect attention
towards issues like "I cant install FC5 on my $xyz video card because
it crashes during install, and text mode doesn't work either".  There
are tonnes of more serious issues in bugzilla of that nature, and that's
mostly where my attention will be until FC5 goes out.

Hope this clarifies things.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.