yum - how to cleanup downloaded yum cache

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 13:23:59 UTC 2006

On 3/6/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I've tried to find a way to clean up all the old headers and downloaded
> RPMs that accumulate in /var/cache/yum
>
> There is a yum clean all:
> CLEAN OPTIONS
> The following are the ways which you can invoke yum in clean mode. Note
> that  "all  files"  in the commands below means "all files in currently
> enabled repositories".  If you want to  also  clean  any  (temporarily)
> disabled repositories you need to use --enablerepo='*' option.
>
> yum clean packages
> Eliminate  any cached packages from the system.  Note that pack-
> ages are not automatically deleted after they are downloaded.
>
> yum clean headers
> Eliminate all of the header files which yum uses for  dependency
> resolution.
> yum clean all
> Runs yum clean packages and yum clean headers as above.
>
> Notice that this says "all" or "any" in the descriptions; this is
> definitely not what I want to happen.
>
> What I want is to erase (the thousands of) superseded header files that
> are no longer current, leaving with only the current headers from repo,
> and also delete the superseded rpm files (probably another 1000-2000
> files and 1.5 to 2 GB of data), ie if the rpm is not in the current repo
> file list, then delete it for each repo.
>
> I also installed yum-utils, but the tools I noticed (yum....) don't seem
> to fit the requirement either.
>
> Any know how to do this ?
>
> Thanks, DaveT.
>
> --

I don't think you can have your cake and eat it to.

It takes like 10-30 seconds to get all the header files if you start over, I
don't think your going to find away to exclude/keep only certian
header/rpm's unless you manually go through it.

Besides, if you only want to keep what is current on the server, what would
is it you want to accomplish with that?  Packages are already installed, so
you don't really need them lying around, if it is because your running
rawhide and might need to fall back, than keep the packages for a few and
blow everything out.