Making swapfiles and SELinux

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Mar 8 20:35:51 UTC 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> > On 3/8/06, Daniel B. Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> Is it possible that this is related to a problem I am seeing.  When my
> machine crashes (locks up after a suspend and attempted resume), I
> have to reboot twice before I get a working system.  The first reboot
> always stops with the X boot UI stating something like "Enabling
> Swap."  When it freezes there, I have to cold boot.  After cold
> booting, everything works fine.
>
> Any suggestions?
>        Miles

Booting up without a swap came up fine and ran ok.  I did a
full-blown yum package installations and updates and did not
really have too much of a problem, however I was starting to
notice as I piled on applications: 'Top', GKrellM, Ximian Email
and something, the system was very noticably running very low on
available virtual memory (not sure if it was due to memory leaks
or just memory running out of heap), but eventually all mouse,
keyboard, and video updates was grinding to a halt where I could
no longer access the system, although the HD was thrashing around
SOLIDLY.  I waited for 20 minutes and no change was noticed so I
was forced to hard-reboot since nothing else worked.  Rebooting
restore normalcy - but I obviously wont run too many apps until
I can get swap space installed.

I wanted to add 500MB swap, but unfortunately SELinux refused
to allow me to do that, even as root.  Grrrrrrr......

So - kindly please someone - tell me how I can get around this
issue so that I can continue testing...  please?  Pretty, pretty,

Dan