Installing on Intel 865 - blank screen

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 23:53:18 UTC 2006

jan terje tønnessen wrote:
> When I try to install FC5 test3 from a DVD I get blank
> screen just after detecting VGA (Intel Corporation
> 82865G) and monitor (LCD Hyundai L50S). I have tested
> different variants of "linux vga=..." but without
> luck.
>
> When I install FC4 on the same machine everything is
> OK
> lspci
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
>
> When I try the FC5 test3 installation on another
> machine (with Intel 915) it works fine.
>
> Driver problem in FC5 ?

I did not expect any problems upgrading a computer with an 865G card.
Thanks for bringing the problem to attention. I kind of wish the problem
was discovered earlier. I however did not test on the computer with the
865G video expecting that having it work with the 815 would transfer
over to the 865G card which seems a bit more sturdy of a card.

- Boot into runlevel 3 as root
- Make sure xorg-x11-drv-i810 is installed
- Check that "i810" is listed as the driver used in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If it fails, try running system-config-display. See if the video and
monitor is setup correctly. Use a your preferred resolution setting from
the menus. Exit s-c-display and change to another terminal.
In the second terminal, login as a normal user. Run startx with the
settings that you selected. If it fails run s-c-display again with
lousier resolution settings. Switch back the regular user terminal and
try again.

You should file a bug report against xorg-x11-drv-i810 in bugzilla with
the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as an attachment and your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf as an attachment.

I had a similar problem with an S3 graphic video and had to settle for
800x600 resolution to have X working. You might be able to use that
resolution on the 865G video but it works with 1280x1024 at 24 depth and
runs 3D applications fair.

I hope this problem is fixed soon.

Jim

--
<mao> why do they insist on ading -Werror...
<Misty-chan> Mesa would not compile out of the box if it were done by you