FC4 possible kernel 2.6.15 issue

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Mar 10 05:03:42 UTC 2006

Skunk Worx wrote:
> I use the GSOAP soap server toolkit for transferring data.
>
> Prior to kernel 2.6.15 I could pull about 3000 data items a second using
>  the various persistent http connection toolkit options over TCP/IP.
>
> Under 2.6.15 I am lucky to get 100 items/sec using the same codebase.
>
> Reverting only the kernel, back to the last 2.6.14 in yum updates, fixes
> it. Not sure where else to post this as I know Fedora tends to patch the
> kernel a bit.
>
> --
> SW

I see via ethereal gsoap is using http continuation, and also keep
alive/io chunking in the http headers under both kernels. No errnos in
strace of servers or clients, and nothing in var/log/messages. Turning
DEBUG on in GSOAP shows no major difference in the .log files between
kernel versions.

Having the same problem on FC5t3 with kernel 2.6.15-1.2009.4.2_FC5

One of the guys I work with has a lot of UNIX experience at the kernel
level and he is going to help me next week. I wonder if the server is
refusing to thread faster than 100 hz? Our GSOAP server is implemented
using pthreads.

Will run more tests early next week.

--
SW