PPC FC5 Test 3

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 19:11:36 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hrm, I didn't realize Test3 was that bad?  I've got two ppc systems in
> my cube here, a mac mini G4 and a imac G5.  Both are capable of
> installing recent rawhide and booting many times.  (Ok so the G5 doesn't
> do X very well, but beside that....)

But FC5 Test 3 isn't that bad -- it's just that I only have access to
various old G3 1999 iMacs to try it out on.  =(  My best system is a
iMac Blueberry which FC thinks is a Firewire MoBo.

G3 350MHz, 320MB RAM.  Maybe they are on the edge of being too old; most likely.

> I'm OK with you giving up on Test3, but would you please please try the
> latest rawhide and let us know how that goes?

I can drag my iMac to work (I don't use the Internet at home) then I
can install FC5Test2 and *upgrade* via the mirror to most (not all)
FC5Test3 *software* but -

* I cannot use any kernel since 1826 (all of them mark the root ext3 as R/O.)
* The FC5T3 PPC CD installer set (5 disks), for the most part, will
not install -- I am repeatedly bombarded with various anaconda errors
-- many of which are traced back to the installer trying to access
beyond the end of the physical size of the disk -- no matter what size
disk I use (the biggest has been a 160GB Barracuda.)
* The bootloader/installer still does NOT create a valid Apple label.
If I delete all the partitions and mark the disk as a PC MSDOS label
the installer is not able to switch it back to a standard Apple Label.

So anyways I have a few iMacs that no longer run applications that I
desire -- most of which are Linux apps; so you see the need to get FC
running.  I guess I will have to commit to i386 -- hell Apple has
already...

I'm just frustrated -- but I won't give up...
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/