System slowness with latest updates

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sat Mar 11 06:05:45 UTC 2006

On Sat, March 11, 2006 3:17 pm, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This one has me kind of confused, as I can't find anything common to cause
> a slowness in the system. The slowness I'm seeing is that processes
> running on the system become really slow and take a long time to do what
> the should do. It's not a system load issue, as I see:
> # uptime
>  15:15:51 up  7:46,  8 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.00
>
> Things like snmpd queries timing out, when restarting dhcpd the syslog
> output to /var/log/messages takes around 2 seconds per line.
>
> I've looked around and can't see anything out of place, or anything
> obviously broken. Anyone have any ideas on this?

As a followup to this, I've noticed that the syslog is around 3-4 minutes
behind the events that happen. say I login to an IMAP server, the maillog
shows the login at 16:57:48 - if I breat out of that and show the date,
the clock will show 3-4 minutes later (ie 17:01) - even though the line
has only appeared seconds ago.

Even things such as spamassassin is taking 217 seconds to scan a 2Kb
email. snmpd results to localhost are timing out - even though the process
is listening.

It takes 45-50 seconds to log out of a su shell back to the logged in
user, the same for becoming root via 'su -'.

I have never seen this kind of behaviour on a system before - especially
when the CPU is 99% idle. Has anyone come across this type of behaviour
before?

the system is:
model name      : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1602.495

It has 1 Gb of RAM, and seemed to work perfectly until last nights updates.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9017 0597 - 0412 935 897

Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.