Installing on Intel 865 - blank screen

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 11 17:52:34 UTC 2006

jan terje tønnessen wrote:
> When I try to install FC5 test3 from a DVD I get blank
> screen just after detecting VGA (Intel Corporation
> 82865G) and monitor (LCD Hyundai L50S). I have tested
> different variants of "linux vga=..." but without
> luck.

I take it this is firstboot where you are having the problem. The
installer seemed to work fine regarding the installer. I did not make it
through the upgrade process to try firstboot.
I did notice an error in one of the logs regarding the i910 kernel
module and a DRM error.

Attached text.

> When I install FC4 on the same machine everything is
> OK
> lspci
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
> 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
>
> When I try the FC5 test3 installation on another
> machine (with Intel 915) it works fine.
>
> Driver problem in FC5 ?

I am uncertain if the i910 module should be used for the 865G video. I
assume that when the numbers go up, the card is a later addition. The
i810 kernel module being used is what I thought was supposed to be used.

Jim