i386 Add/Remove Apps

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 11 22:48:09 UTC 2006

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> Anyways, the i386 Add/Remove Apps system looks like it is *frozen* but
> when I switch to a text console and look at tcpdump I can see the data
> flowing.
>
> What I don't understand is why doesn't the GUI screen fresh?  I know I
> am trying to download about ~500MB of applications and other data but
> that should not stop the GUI from freshing...
I can confirm that if you cover the pup / pirut dialogs while they are
downloading / calculating / resolving / updating with another window,
then when you move the other window (or minimize), it takes maybe 15
seconds before the contents (not the window dressing) are updated.

Does top show you that the box is busy ?
sysload ?
% memory ?
% cpu for pup ?
How much Raaaaammmmm on that machine ?
What about gkrellm (I like my pretty graphs) ?

DaveT