shortcut to new shell opened behind the first one ....

Fulko Hew fhew3 at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 13 02:30:29 UTC 2006

John Summerfied wrote:

> Uno Engborg wrote:
>
>> John Summerfied wrote:

>>> With the old behaviour it's disturbingly common for a dialogue to
>>> pop up and steal keystrokes. It's perfectly possible for a dialogue
>>> to be dismissed (by the user pressing the space-bar) before it's
>>> read - that has happened to me, and depending on the dialogue
>>> perhaps to result in other wrong actions.
>>>
>>> KDE has been doing this for years, and once I became accustomed to
>>> it, I think I've only found it inconvenient once or twice. The time
>>> I can remember is running tsclient on FC3 to run a remote desktop to
>>> a Windows box; when the session ends, the tsclient login dialogue
>>> pops up and is disabled by a (meaningless) modal error dialogue
>>> behind it.
>>

>> No, KDE is not doing this. E.g try type sabayon from a gnome-terminal
>> managed by metacity
>> and typing sabayon in a ktermial running in Kwin. In  the Gnome case
>> the entire sabayon window is totally covered by the gnome-terminal in
>> the Gnome/metacity case. In KDE the sabayon window opens on top.
>

> I know you think you understand what you think I said but in fact what
> I said may lack some clarity:-)
>

> KDE has been opening behind for years. I can click an icon to start
> something, such as Mozilla, and it opens behind everything.

Thats strange.  On my FC4, everything, including Firefox, always opens
on top (Thank god!)

> Further checking shows that, when I start kwrite in a konsole window,
> it opens in front if konsole has focus, behind if not, and very
> cleverly, "kwrite&" followed by further typing has kwrite opening behind.

I just tried kwrite for the first time on this machine.
The first time, it open behind.  But every other time since... its
opened in front.
I can't figure out how to get it to open behind. ;-()  (not that I would
want it to anyway).

So I can't explain why things seem to work differently, unless its an
FC5 vrs FC4 thing.