no floppy dir in /media ? bug ????

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 07:59:25 UTC 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 21:00, David Timms wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On 3/12/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >> Since floppy disk insertion aren't usually detectable, I guess you need
> >> to use a tool like Michal suggested to mount it. But I don't have a
> >> floppy drive on the couple of PC's that I have ;)

Mounting the floppy from the command line is not the problem.

I'm using kde 3.5/fc5t2 and the desktop icon DOES NOT mount the device because
it is not listed in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.  This appears to be due to a
change in the way mountable devices are handled from FC4 to FC5.  Apparently
they are now mounted under the udev system (from what I've heard).  When this
change was made, nobody bothered to modify the way kde handles the mounting.
The desktop device icon for the floppy still shows the mount point as it did
under FC4, (/media/floppy which point is not created under /etc/fstab).  This
is also the situation with the CD player but the udev automounter handles it.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467