Reporting mono bugs - a bit of advice please

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 13 09:00:39 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 10:56 +0000, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It used to be that when I was running mono built from source, I would
> report problems to the Mono bugzilla. Now I'm running from the FC rpms,
> should I report it to both, especially as the bugs I'm seeing are
> upstream problems?
>
> TTFN

In general its almost always better to file bugs upstream if there is a
an upstream bugtracker and upstream is active. The people reading the
redhat bugtracker for a particular module is often someone who isn't
deeply knowledgable about the code, and often have little time to fix
deep issues with it, whereas an upstream bug per definition goes to the
person who knows the code best, and has the most time/interest to work
on it.

Some bugs are clearly (and sometimes not-so-clearly) packaging bugs or
issues that affect the module as part of the whole distro. These bugs
needs to be in the redhat bugzilla. Furthermore, its good to have really
bad bugs (e.g. ones considered blocking/targeted for the release) in the
redhat bugzilla so we can track them for the release.

There are always exceptions to these things though. Some modules are
developed by redhat, some upstreams mainainers use the redhat bugzilla,
some upstream modules have much longer release-cycles so we need to get
fixes in before the next release, etc. Use you best judgement.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an ungodly crooked cop on the run. She's a provocative cat-loving bounty
hunter who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight crime!