no floppy dir in /media ? bug ????

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 21:40:22 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 06:51, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Thomas Taylor <linxt at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I'm using kde 3.5/fc5t2 and the desktop icon DOES NOT mount the device
> > because it is not listed in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.
>
> fc5t2... I'm really not sure your experience with fc5t2 can be
> considered state-of-the-art at this point with regard to kde's ability
> to correctly interact with hal and dbus to negotiate mounts. All the
> bugs ive seen filed against kde suggest to me that its working as
> reliably on kde as it is in gnome.   But it would be instructive to
> see an open bug ticket number for reference that I have missed in my
> bugzilla search.
>
> This appears to be due to a
>
> > change in the way mountable devices are handled from FC4 to FC5.
> > Apparently they are now mounted under the udev system (from what I've
> > heard).
>
> I think you misunderstand the underlying technologies which have
> shifted since fc4.

That's quite possible and since you pointed it out, why don't you correct it
instead of just naysaying.

> > change was made, nobody bothered to modify the way kde handles the
> > mounting.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's a factually incorrect statement.
>
> -jef

The facts I stated from my experience are correct.

The floppy will mount using the file manager or CLI BUT NOT FROM THE ICON.  I
believe this is because the mount point (device) shown in the device icon on
the desktop is not being created by whatever means kde uses to mount the
device.

Right clicking on the floppy icon on the desktop brings down a menu of
actions.  One of those actions is "mount".  With a floppy in the drive, when
you click on mount a message is returned that basically says that the device
can't be mounted because it doesn't exist in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

Please try doing the above and then tell me how I am factually incorrect.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467