Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 02:20:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:11:26PM -0600, Jonathan Berry wrote:
 > On 3/15/06, Jim Bevier <jim at jbsys.com> wrote:
 > > It seems the kernel from today, 2054, breaks the loading of the nvidia.ko
 > > module.  I get the message "nvidia: Unknown symbol print_tainted".  Building
 > > of VMware module does not have any problem.  The last good kernel that
 > > worked was 2045.  Was the symbol deleted?
 >
 > I am seeing a problem with loading the nvidia module as well.  Builds
 > just fine from a src.rpm acquired from:
 > http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.lvn/graphics/  Running
 > x86_64, as I think you are.  I cannot seem to find the problem here.
 > I downloaded kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm and did an rpmbuild -bp
 > to get the source tree.  I found print_tainted seemingly defined just
 > fine in kernel/panic.c:
 > const char *print_tainted(void)
 > {
 >         static char buf[20];
 >         if (tainted) {
 >                 snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "Tainted: %c%c%c%c%c%c",
 >                         tainted & TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE ? 'P' : 'G',
 >                         tainted & TAINT_FORCED_MODULE ? 'F' : ' ',
 >                         tainted & TAINT_UNSAFE_SMP ? 'S' : ' ',
 >                         tainted & TAINT_FORCED_RMMOD ? 'R' : ' ',
 >                         tainted & TAINT_MACHINE_CHECK ? 'M' : ' ',
 >                         tainted & TAINT_BAD_PAGE ? 'B' : ' ');
 >         }
 >         else
 >                 snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "Not tainted");
 >         return(buf);
 > }
 > EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(print_tainted);
 > Looks like the symbol is there and exported.  Granted, I'm not an that
 > knowledgeable about such things, but that looks okay to me.  Anyone
 > have any ideas what is going on here?

An oversight on my part.
print_tainted is used in the spinlock macros, so essentially,
the macro is made GPL-only too.  I've reverted that change
in cvs, but it's too late for the final FC5 image, which is
already being pushed out to mirrors.

It'll be fixed in the very first update kernel for FC5, which
will likely be within the first few days of release.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk