Rawhide, bluetooth and selinux

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Mar 16 05:07:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 21:42 +0100, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
> William John Murray wrote:
> [...]
> >    Hello Patrick,
> >          I think you have to disable the bluetooth in selinux,
> >   (SElinux -> SELinux service protection -> bluetooth)
> Yes, you are right, that solved my problem. Strange thing is, I never
> had problems starting hcid manually, just the init-script won't work
> when bluetooth is disallowed by selinux.

I just sat down and figured this out -- SELinux policy isn't currently
allowing hcid (which runs as bluetooth_t) to connect to the system
message bus.  I just sent dwalsh the relevant policy patch

> OK, let's see... Bug 1: "/etc/init.d/bluetooth start" reports success,
> though "hcid" fails to start. Easy solution: verify that hcid started.
> Better solution: verify whether selinux disallows bluethooth and have
> the init-script report "failed to start due to selinux".

Well, it should actually start :-)

> Bug 2: why can I start "hcid" manually, though bluetooth is disallowed
> by selinux? I suppose selinux should either allow both the init-script
> and manual invocation or deny both the init-script and manual
> invocation. The current situation is certainly annoying.

When you start it manually, it runs as unconfined_t instead of
transitioning to bluetooth_t and thus can connect to the bus.

> >   The pin ID stuff is probably related to requiring a pin helper.
> >    I uncommented /usr/bin/bluepin in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf,
> >   and the error went away.
> That one helped here to. I thought that would not be nessessary since a
> different pin-helper was configured. It should be verified with kde, but
> I consider this to be bug 3.

It should be calling the dbus method which bluez-pin listens for.  Note
that bluez-pin wasn't be automatically started in X sessions until
bluez-pin-0.30-1

Jeremy