any way to install fc trough the internet ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 15:50:23 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Why are we have two different ISO images then? Just get rid of the boot
> image and rename, use the rescue image if it serves both the purpose well.

I can't answer why the boot.iso is being produced. It is an order of
magnitude smaller than the rescuecd.iso and I think its probably being
produced to be placed on the fulll iso images to save space. Anyone
who has the full media already has a rescue environment and may very
well only need to use boot.iso to bring up additional systems locally.
 I belive the rescuecd.iso is only be available as a seperate image on
the mirrors and the torrent and not on the the main isosets. Packing
of the isos for space-efficiency always has tradeoffs.  I will say the
boot.iso fits on the business card sized cds, so it fills a unique
media niche but its usefulness is limited.

The only time I ever burn a boot.iso personally is when i have full
media available locally and I need to spin up more than one nfs based
install at the same time, the boot.iso is "small" so i just have it
sitting on the harddrive ready to be pushed to a new blank cdr if I
need to do a spur-of-the-moment install at work.  But since I'm not
using business card sized cd's for that it doesn't really matter to
me.

-jef