Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Mar 16 17:03:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 08:46 -0800, alan wrote:

>>> ...Hopefully when Linux users will have sufficiently powerful GPU with
>>> mature open-source drivers alternative *.
>>
>> That is not going to happen until the patent and copy control issues get
>> straightened out.
>>
>> Patents are an issue due to liability.  From what I have been told by a
>> chip designer, everyone steps on everyone elses patents.  If you have an
>> open source driver, it is easier to prove the violation.  If you have a
>> closed source driver, it costs a million dollars or more to reverse
>> engineer it to prove.
>

> I've heard this and many other excuses before ;)
> To a large degree it IS an excuse. NVidia just doesn't want to open.
> Anything else is basically them trying to find an excuse that sounds
> plausible and may get accepted by people.
>
> (It's not that those excuses are lies without any truth; but the causal
> relationship just isn't there)

The question I have is who they are afraid of.  There are only two
manufaturers of fast video cards at this point.  (Three, if you count
Matrox.)  They need to come to a truce and stop all this wasteful
bickering.

Especially ATI.  They don't even support all of their shipping chipsets
with closed source drivers.  Their api documentation (what they will
release) is inaccurate most of the time.

It may be excuses, but until you can convince the legal department that it
is a good idea, it is not going to happen.  Yes, it is a cop-out on their
part, but they think that playing safe is better than the possible threat
from some unknown entity possibly threatening them with legal action.

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."