Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 16 19:09:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:00:53 -0500
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> My point is - for me it is definitely *not* a feature that FC5 will be
> unusable out of the box. Arjan's assurance that it's "just a matter of
> time before it is broken again" sounds very disturbing to me. Fedora
> should be aiming to provide the opposite assurance - "things will work
> most of the time". I fail to see why it's a good thing when 3D drivers
> have been broken for a large percent of the Linux user base.

Surely was tongue-in-cheek.   But the underlying point is that the
developers of Fedora are working on open source solutions and just
don't have the cycles to accomodate all the needs of closed source
drivers as well.

More Fedora users should be considering carefully their real 3d needs
and tune their graphics purchases to those supported out of the box
by Fedora.   Those stuck with cards that need binary drivers for
3d graphics, will just have to deal with the bumps in the road; there's
nothing on the horizon that suggests life is going to get easier.

On a positive note, Fedora will get better and better at supporting
3d graphics for open source cards.

Sean