Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 19:39:47 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, sean <seanlkml at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:00:53 -0500
> Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > My point is - for me it is definitely *not* a feature that FC5 will be
> > unusable out of the box. Arjan's assurance that it's "just a matter of
> > time before it is broken again" sounds very disturbing to me. Fedora
> > should be aiming to provide the opposite assurance - "things will work
> > most of the time". I fail to see why it's a good thing when 3D drivers
> > have been broken for a large percent of the Linux user base.
> >

> Surely was tongue-in-cheek.   But the underlying point is that the
> developers of Fedora are working on open source solutions and just
> don't have the cycles to accomodate all the needs of closed source
> drivers as well.

I don't expect Fedora to officially support and test closed source
drivers.  But I am quite willing to test the nvidia driver and report
when things break.  If this breakage is due to an oversight or bug (as
is the case here), then I expect this to be fixed in the kernel (as it
will be).  If something changes in the kernel, then I expect my
hardware vendor to fix the driver.  That's fair, isn't it?

> More Fedora users should be considering carefully their real 3d needs
> and tune their graphics purchases to those supported out of the box
> by Fedora.   Those stuck with cards that need binary drivers for
> 3d graphics, will just have to deal with the bumps in the road; there's
> nothing on the horizon that suggests life is going to get easier.
>
> On a positive note, Fedora will get better and better at supporting
> 3d graphics for open source cards.

What graphics cards would those be?  Actually, I am interested in
seeing a list of cards with open source drivers.  Something maybe with
some indication of performance relative to each other and relative to
nVidia and ATI cards with closed source drivers.  Perhaps such a list
would help people in deciding what card to buy.

I know there are old ATI cards and the Intel integrated chipsets.  I
refuse to buy anything ATI if I can help it because of their current
attitude towards Linux, even an old card with open source drivers.
I'm a fan of AMD CPUs and I doubt Intel is going to come out with a
motherboard for an AMD CPU...  I've actually been considering buying a
realtively inexpensive Intel (CPU, graphics, wireless) based laptop to
be a Linux-only machine for use as mostly a remote terminal to my
desktop.  Though, I am slightly concerned about reports I see
sometimes about Intel graphics not working properly.

Jonathan