Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Fri Mar 17 00:31:23 UTC 2006

John Morris said:
> And that mythical 3D card would be?  I just love this headlong rush
> toward a 3D desktop while everyone sticks their fingers in their ears
> and hums real loud everytime someone observes that there currently
> exists ZERO supported hardware.

Older ATi cards (Radeon 9200 series and earlier) as well as most integrated
Intel stuff and some mostly-obsolete Matrox cards all have Free Software
driver support (including hardware-acceleration)

John Morris said:
> I keep buying ATI in the hope that someday it will be supported but
> always install the proprietary driver after punching the reset button a
> few times.  The free radeon driver & AMD have been trouble at least back
> to '00.  But even when it doesn't lockup the machine it can't (as of
> FC5t3) run most of the GL xscreensaver hacks correctly.

I've had problems with the R200 driver and heavy OpenGL usage. However, my
tests with the new modular X.org seem to show that is has been fixed.

> A couple of low performance shared memory pieces of crap from Intel are
> supported, but aren't fast enough to be interesting [...]

Actually, The GMA900 integrated chipset is supposed to be of similar
performance with a Radeon 9600-ish, from what I've read.

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail