Nvidia SATA hangups with newer FC5 test kernel

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:01:04 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, perhaps you mean PCI-e, that is, PCI-Express?  PCI-X is something
> different.  I know, it's confusing : ).  I don't know of any PCI-X

Count me among the confused. Yes, it's PCI-Express.

> components on it.  Mine is an nForce4 SLI board from Gigabyte.  Could
> you try running without the extra NIC to see if it still locks up?

Not at the moment. It needs both NICs because it has private and
public IP addresses which must be on separate interfaces. It took it a
few days to lock up, and its owner (Mom) can't be without it for that
long to see if it's OK without that NIC.

Basically, since it didn't _have_ to run in 64-bit mode ("only" 1 gig
of RAM), the simplest fix to try was to install 32-bit. There's also
the minor issue that Mom needed Flash functionality in Firefox, and
AFAIK Macromedia hasn't released a 64-bit plugin.

BTW, I just checked - the system in question has been up for 2 months
straight on 32-bit.

Calvin