Could tthere be an update iso distribution

Klaasjan Brand fedora at kjb.dds.nl
Fri Mar 17 12:47:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 03:17 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Klaasjan Brand wrote:
> > Maybe at last someone will reverse engineer the nvidia hardware and
> > build an open source driver? :)

> That's already happened.  The open source BeOS nvidia driver has
> 3D support for current generation Nvidia hardware, or at least
> a generation old hardware if I recall correctly.  A sufficiently
> motivated individual could use the BeOS code as an example, and
> port it to the DRI infrastructure and X.

If we're talking about the driver linked from wikipedia "NVidia and
FOSS" article, it's barely supporting geforce 4 cards (which was
released almost 5 years ago). Of course it's still better than nothing.

> To the best of my knowledge, none of the existing DRI/Mesa/X developers
> have been interested in attempting to do this, and it doesn't appear
> BeOS developers are interested in undertaking the effort either.
> This leaves a very interesting project to a significantly self motivated
> developer or group of developers seeking open source fame.

Why should it have to be self-motivated? The r200 driver was funded by a
company ("the weather channel" if I remember correctly).
If no company is interested in funding this, maybe enough donations can
be raised by the Fedora or freedesktop community to fund someone to
write the driver.

Klaasjan