Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Sat Mar 18 17:33:35 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What alternative are you offering to power our Xgl/Bling/what-ever
>>desktops? (Let alone running Quake4 at 1600x1200...)
>

> Doesn't the intel graphics sets now provide enough open support for bling?

So, everyone who wants to have Bling is then forced to purchase an
Intel motherboard with Intel CPU?  Thanks, but no thanks.  What if
I prefer to have an AMD64 CPU, on an AMD motherboard?  Is there AMD
motherboards with Intel graphics onboard that I missed somewhere?
Are there Intel add-on graphics boards?  Other than perhaps
prototypes that never see public eye, I've never heard of any such
add on boards.

If Intel video happens to work with the new desktop bling, that
is fantastic, in particular for everyone who has Intel CPUs and
Intel video hardware and can get it to work with the native
resolution of their LCD panel (with or without a crowbar).  But
that doesn't help anyone with non-Intel CPUs who prefer to use
non-Intel CPUs.

I'd go AMD64 without any graphics and use a Cirrus Logic 5446
with 24 text consoles before switching CPU brands.  But that's
just me.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.