Kernel 2054 breaks nvidia.ko loading

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Mar 21 02:53:29 UTC 2006

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 at 12:33pm, "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at mharris.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>>> Doesn't the intel graphics sets now provide enough open support for
>>> bling?
>>

>> So, everyone who wants to have Bling is then forced to purchase an
>> Intel motherboard with Intel CPU?  Thanks, but no thanks.  What if
>
> I can't believe I'm the first to point this out, but working, stable 3D
> support isn't all about bling.

You're right, but then nobody has claimed that OpenGL support was all
about bling.

> Just try to run something like
> Pro/Engineer (a high-end, professional CAD/CAM package) or AVS Express
> (for scientific visualization) on a non-accelerated system.  It's
> *painful*.  More and more high end packages like those are being ported
> to Linux.  But corporations aren't going to migrate their users'
> desktops to Linux if they can't run the apps with decent performance and
> stability. IMO, *that's* why 3D is important.

Sure, that's one of the reasons why accelerated 3D is important. Bling
is another separate reason.  The thread you're replying to wasn't
suggesting that bling bling eye-candy is the only reason for 3D.  It
was suggesting that 3D acceleration is necessary in order for bling
bling eye candy to be viable.  Under that context, having proper 3D
support is necessary.

Your statement is also true, but it is orthagonal to bling.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.