CTRL-ALT-DEL vs. Menu Shutdown

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 06:40:47 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Oldman <talbotscott at cox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 16:33 -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:

> been
> any
> you
> same
> > > Why should the behaviour be the same?  One is a highly-visible menu
> > > option marked "Shutdown", the other is a non-discoverable/magic
> keyboard
> > > sequence (albeit well-known to long-suffering users of another OS)
> > >

> > If it exists, it should be standard - just good policy.
> >
> > Agreed on the long-suffering part though.
> >
> > Filing a bug report per Ray Strode.
> >
> > -b
>         Trouble is that the menu item is split between logoff and shutdown
> and
> the c-a-d gets you both options, which, I prefer so I always use the
> keyboard
> when I'm going to logoff or reboot or whatever.
>
> Scott

I kind of like having some option to get to the old style
shutdown/reboot/logout dialog too. It seems to be the easiest way to save
your session unless all the direct buttons do that by default now?
Actually, I just looked at the Sessions manager and it looks like the new
direct Logout dialog is ignoring the "Ask on logout" checkbox. Also, having
it save by default seems to be an option that is not on by default ... which
is fine with me.

/Mike