Vendor only distributable packages - was " Kernel 2059 from Dave Jones fixes nvidia.ko loading"

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Mar 24 14:31:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 11:27 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:55 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:

> > > what makes you think NVidia and ATI are legal?
> > >
> > Since the vendor(s) makes them available for free download I would guess
> > there is no question of legality here.
> >

> so if I put up a copy of The Matrix DVD for free download there is no
> question of legality either?
> (hint: not all the code that created the nvidia .ko file is owned by
> NVidia, some of it comes from the kernel. Same and even more so for ATI)

YOU are not the originating vendor/producer for that DVD.  You cannot
legally distribute it.
nVidia is the originating vendor/producer for their binary driver. They
can legally distribute it if they choose.
Your comparison is not even in the same league.

And, no, they do not distribute the part that comes from the kernel
headers.  That is compiled in by you (or the rpm packager if you get an
rpm from someone like livna).