First Impressions

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Mar 24 14:44:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 00:03 +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> > Installation went flawlessly. I used a DVD from a mirror site.
> >
> > Screeen resolution is fine but movement actions are choppy. The test
> > versions (t1-t3) had smooth scrolling and smooth output. Not the
> > official relese.
> >
> > I tried revising the mouse parameters, but this has not helped. I
> > will try some other techniques or request some hints.
> >
> > How do I measure (on a figure of merit) the gui stuff. Well, aside
> > from the tests, for gui operation, I loaded the free cell solitaire
> > and began moving the cards. I can get to the target location before
> > the software / display catches up. This did not happen with Core5
> > tests 1 to test 3.
> I see smooth card animation no matter how fast I move the card/mouse.
> What graphics card/chip do you use ?
> $ grep -C 4 driver /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> > With the test verision I felt as if the solitaire game card movement
> > was as good as as in Core4, then we are with a winner.
> As good as ? I would say it seems faster (with the standard open nv
> driver on an nvidia fx5600 card) !

David,
how did you get the nv driver to work for you?

I have installed the x86_64 system and the nv driver refuses to work at
all for me on my nVidia geforce 6600 LX PCIe card.
At present the only driver I have been able to get working on this box
with FC5 is the vesa driver and that is not at the desired 1600x1200
resolution.

Gigabyte mobo with AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800+ cpu and 2GiB ram.
Should work perfectly, and did on FC4, but absolutely refuses to work
with that driver on FC5.