Fedora Core 5: Still needs ide=nodma for mediacheck

n0dalus n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 03:00:23 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should this sort of thing be added to burning instructions provided in
> the wiki and other fedora documentation.. to limit exposure to this
> problem?  Is there any real downside in telling people to pad?

How about we just change the way the images are created or checked?
1) Pad the ISO with a small file which we don't need so we can either
detect it and stop or just read up to the position of that byte and
compare the checksum up to that point; or
2) Just hash each file individually, or hash the concation of each
file in a specified order.

With either of these methods the problems currently existing in the
kernel driver will be avoided and media checking should work properly
on any hardware.

My 2 cents,
n0dalus.