Social Engineering of Rawhide

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Mar 1 23:22:24 UTC 2006

Fred New wrote:
> On 28. veebruar 2006. a. 20:27, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>>Technically, it was renamed 2 years ago to "Fedora
>>Development", however since the developmental repository
>>for Red Hat Linux was named "rawhide" for 8-10 years or
>>so, the name rawhide has stuck in the minds of many
>>developers, and users.
>>
>>One observation I've made though that this is changing
>>slowly, is that I haven't seen anyone file a bug report
>>against rawhide in bugzilla for a long time.  People
>>are pretty much universally using "Fedora devel"
>>or one of the test versions when they file.
>

> Hmmm.  I'm wondering if the RAWHIDE resolution in
> Bugzilla should also be renamed.

The problem with that, is that "RAWHIDE" is the resolution for
many existing bugs, so can't be removed in the existing bugzilla
framework from what I understand.  Long ago we added "NEXTRELEASE"
to replace "RAWHIDE", but it generally gets used for RHEL devel
and RAWHIDE still gets used for Fedora.  I'm as guilty as anyone
in using the term.

It'd be nice if bugzilla had a way of saying "don't show this
resolution/status/whatever anymore in this product version
as a user selectable choice, but allow it to remain in existing
database entries, and be queryable".

The way things are now, over time new resolutions/statuses get
added, and old ones deprecated in an email sent somewhere people
might not ever even see.  So people look at the list, see the
choices and choose one from what's available.  As long as choices
are available which people can see, they'll use them.

Hopefully future bugzilla releases will gain the ability to
clear out cruft.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.