Cinema Display 30 and Radeon 9600

Scott catfather at donpoo.net
Thu Mar 2 00:52:35 UTC 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> You need to use proprietary drivers with the 30" flat panels from
> Apple
> or Dell to get it working as one would expect.  That probably wont
> change much until the video hardware vendors wake up and start
> supporting OSS again.

Does this confirm my suspicion that the xorg radeon driver does not
support dual link dvi mode that is required to drive these displays?
Just kind of curious if it's actually been looked at and I'm sure you
would know. :)

> Maybe Intel or someone will come to the rescue with new hardware in
> the future, and solving the modesetting problems in the OSS Intel
> driver currently.

One could only hope. I'm more than a bit disapointed at the current
state of video hardware support in Linux myself. It seems that the
only real solution for fast 3D or MPEG HW decoding is vendor
proprietary nvida or ati drivers. When I purchased this display I
knew there would be a real chance of being forced into a proprietary
driver and I deliberately made the choice to go with ATI based on the
current r300 work and the past support ATI has given OSS.

Now, the best I can do is dial up the ATI support line and request a
working X config for their driver. My previous attempts under Ubuntu
xorg 6.8.2 with the latest fglrx resulted in no display under X AND
corruption in text mode after attempting to run X. At least the xorg
radeon driver didn't screw up the console after exiting X! :)

Anyone want to comment on the state of fglrx with xorg 7.0.0 in FC5-
test3? Is it worth me trying or should I go back to xorg 6.x ?

--
Scott