Udev issues in today's coming rawhide

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 07:55:02 UTC 2006

We're attempting to fix a problem in udev where /dev/cdrom creation is a
race between multiple optical devices in a system.  To work around this
we will enumerate the devices as /dev/cdrom-hdc or /dev/cdrom-hdb.
However for compatibility reasons, we'll still create a /dev/cdrom, and
the last device found wins the race.

However in the udev package found in today's rawhide, /dev/cdrom is not
being created at all.  This is fixed in a newer package, but did not
make the rawhide push.  If you have issues with udev and /dev/cdrom,
please update to the udev package found here:

http://people.redhat.com/jkeating/udev-hotfix/

If you notice an application you use that depends on a /dev/cdrom entry,
please let us know so that we can investigate fixes for this improper
behavior.

Cheers!
--
Jesse Keating