Suspend item in Gnome menu

Per Bjornsson perbj at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 3 07:24:59 UTC 2006

Hi,

Is there any (preferably non-hacky) way to either turn off the "Suspend"
item in the Gnome menu, or change it into doing a suspend-to-disk
("hibernate"/"swsusp") instead of suspend-to-RAM?

The background is that my notebook has never been able to wake up from
suspend-to-RAM in Linux (the suspend seems fine but waking up just
doesn't work - it spins up the fans but doesn't seem to do anything else
on resume) and I have pretty much given up debugging that by now - I try
it ever so often with new kernel versions, but it's always the same.
However, swsusp works now - hooray! (Well, I just tested it and X hung
on resume - but I have seen it work at least... I'll have to fiddle some
more with this.)

After setting the default suspend mechanism to "hibernate" in
gnome-power-manager the "suspend" button in the shutdown dialog does a
swsusp suspend, but the separate "Suspend" menu item still suspends to
RAM.

Given the state of suspend in Linux, it seems to me that it would be
prudent to make the Suspend menu item configurable...

/Per