wpa_supplicant and NetworkManager coexistance?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Mar 5 04:29:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 04:18 +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Has anyone got these to work side by side as yet?
>
> It seems that each one is always trying to grab control of the wifi
> adapter - I tell NetworkManager to connect to my local AP - which it
> does, then wpa disconnects it and scans itself. Same the other way
> around.
>
> Is there any way to make these co-exist? I guess what would be really
> neat is to have WPA functionality in NetworkManger - then you get a
> nice little GUI to configure 802.1x.... Great for those EAP-TTLS
> access points out there!

You cannot run NetworkManager _and_ wpa_supplicant as a daemon at the
same time.  NM uses wpa_supplicant underneath for its
association/authentication and link management, but it spawns its own
copy of wpa_supplicant for a couple of reasons.  Eventually, I think
we'd like to just use an existing wpa_supplicant daemon, but that's a
ways off.

Dan