Default Desktop Behavior

Todd Simi tsimi at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 7 17:02:34 UTC 2006

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:04:42 +1100
> From: David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au>
> Subject: Re: Default Desktop Behavior
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>
> Uno Engborg wrote:

> >> I would have replied, the problem is that I can't really decide whats
> >> best.
> >> A change like this really needs usability testing with real users to
> >> evaluate.
> >>
> >> The problem with opening applications on top is that they may catch your
> >> typing, the disadvantage is that it generates an extra click to bring
> >> the application to front.
> You might remember that an alt-tab will access the last created window,
> ie the one that opened up underneath...you don't even have to slow
> yourself down by needing to move your hand off the keyboard, and mousing
> around ;)  Or the minimize current window Alt-F9 which which leaves the
> new window on top (harder to get the fingers around).
>
> >> On the other hand I have never felt that applications open on top
> >> catching input ever have been a big problem, so perhaps it should have
> >> been
> >> left unchanged. So I suggest you file a bug report.
> >>
> >> One way to avoid the problem would be to use the new deskbar applet to
> >> type in application names instead of using terminal windows.
> What is that called ?
> Is it part of a basic gnome install ?
> I couldn't see it in add to panel ?
>
> > I think I have made up my mind. This opening window behind is really
> > annoying.
> I guess it depends on things like:
> - does your brain work only in a single task at a time way
> - is the PC so incredibly quick at showing the actual application window
> with the required data already in focus (I'm thinking startuo time for
> openoffice text or firefox, 15 secs/40secs to get past the 'i'm
> starting' dialog and show the actual contents), while you are still
> continuing to read the email you clicked the link on.
>
> I get these mails with say twenty links in them. The way I work is
> quickly skim the email, clicking any interesting ones (takes say ten
> seconds), delete the email, close email viewer, and then the next thing
> on screen is the preloaded web page with the content i requested. I
> don't need to sit here staring an 'i'm starting' dialog or a document /
> web page that is taking some time to load, when I could have continued
> and completed what I was doing in the same wait time.
>
> So if you were typing and the app came up over the top you would waste
> your time until you realized the keystrokes were going to the wrong
> place...delete...click back to where you really wanted to be...try to
> remember what you had been writing...retype it again. I've done this so
> many times that just this short time with a window manager that dosen't
> do this has been excellent.
>
> > At the very least this should be changeable in gconf.
> [...]
I understand about ALT-TAB, but why must it be that I have to do that in
order to access the application I just asked for?  My firefox loads in 7
seconds, if I haven't used it in a session, and only 3 seconds if I
have.  I don't find that to long to wait for what I want to read.
That's if I'm clicking on a link in an email.

This behavior also occurs when clicking on one of the icons at the top
of the screen.  When calling a program directly for execution.  If right
now I decide I want to insert a quote from the web, I have to click on
the firefox icon, then be anoid that I have to ALT-TAB or click on it in
addition.

I just think this could be a really great configurable feature, and not
the M$ type of "feature" it is to me now.

Todd